SOCIAL MEDIA

Sunday, September 4, 2016

The Loch Ness Monster and the Mysterious...

   Every family has certain tendencies, a more positive word would be "charisms". Well, perhaps I should say all people have certain tendencies, some more or less desirable than others. Some of my children have a tendency to obsess over things, for certain periods of time. It could be a few weeks to a year, to several years. Obsessions are not all bad. After all, it was my husband's obsession to discover the fullness of the truth that led him to the Faith. It was my eldest son's obsession with reading (I used to find books "hidden" everywhere, under the bathroom sink, in the crevices of his bed, around his carseat...) that led him to score so high in language arts consistently, and become a good writer. My husband has taught me that if I reject the obsessions, it will only lead them to obsess more, not less. And anyway, If I'm lucky and I don't want to hear about a certain obsession for an undesirable length of time, it will only last a few weeks.



   The Little Guy is currently obsessed, with cryptids. The Eldest went through this obsession possibly about the same age and still relishes a conversation or book about the topic from time to time. But, if you are at my house and trying to get up early on a Sunday morning to sneak a quiet luxurious breakfast by yourself on your due date for number 6, like I was this morning, stay in bed. Just kidding. God just has different plans for me sometimes.

   As he expounds on the possible mysterious and undiscovered creatures out there that could be lurking around the corner, and at the same time asks me over and over "Do you think it's possible? Huh? Do you think it's real?" I, as a theology major, and well, just a mom, am always thinking "How does God and the soul fit into all of this?" So to the questions he poses, here are my off-the-cuff answers.

"Why do you think God would create such a creature, if he did?"
"Everything he created was created for His glory, and out of His goodness. Also if he didn't, what would you have to talk about this morning to me?"

"If he did create these things, I'm scared of them."
"If he did create them, the same God created you, loves you, and cares for you. That's the only thing you need to dwell on, ultimately."

   I was formulating a speech about how our curiosity for the mysterious is actually a reflection of our deeper inner quest for the ultimate "mysterious and unknown" which is God himself. That while He, I believe, gives us these mysteries, to excite our imagination, and give us something to learn about, the ultimate search for the mysterious and deep can only truly be satisfied in Himself- of Whom the quest for is never ending and in its mystery and depth, inexhaustible. Alas, he was onto another obsession, directing his little brother.  (His little brother had cleverly escaped this conversation and retreated into another room for his own session of imaginary play, while his older brother was occupied.) I (shhh) meanwhile, sneak back into my own retreat, the bedroom, for perhaps another dose of sleep, before the next round of soul-searching questions comes.


Post a Comment